Tuesday, June 30, 2009

85 Percent Of The Time, It Works Every Time

According to the social worker that we worked with on our former adoption case, 15 percent of adoptions end with the birthmother changing her mind and keeping the baby.

I'm not sure if this makes me feel relieved or worse. I had only a 1 in almost 7 chance of this happening. Yet it happened. And next time, I'll have a 1 in 7 chance that it will happen again.

BUT, we are back on board with the agency, and they have already started sending out our profile again. So we sit back and wait, with our fingers crossed that our next experience has a much better ending.

On a side note, the awkward stares have begun to dwindle, and I've actually had a few pretty thoughtful approaches - a voicemail from a friend saying she understand if I don't want to talk about it, but she's there if I need her and she'll check back in a few days just to say hi; an email from a coworker not claiming to understand what I was going through, but expressing her sadness and anger for my loss; and a prayer card from a friend just letting us know she is thinking of us and praying for our happy ending. Sometimes it's hard to find the right words, but it's amazing when people figure it out. Thank you to my friends and family for their support...

No comments:

Post a Comment